Greens Senator Lee Rhiannon will host a round table at Parliament House on 'Furthering the call for an Independent War Crimes Tribunal for Sri Lanka'.
Greens Senator Lee Rhiannon said:
"International momentum is growing for an independent investigation into allegations that war crimes were committed in the final stage of the Sri Lankan civil war.
"British Prime Minister David Cameron, Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper and the US Senate have all supported calls for an independent investigation.
"The upcoming Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting in Perth, which will be attended by the Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa, is an important opportunity to further the call and I look forward to discussions at the round table", Senator Rhiannon said.
The round table will be a closed door meeting, with a press conference following.
When: Press conference at 12.30pm Tuesday 20 September, following the round table
Where: Senate courtyard
Who: Participants in the round table include:
* The Hon John Dowd AO QC, President of International Commission of Jurists Australia and former NSW Attorney General and Supreme Court judge
* Gordon Weiss, UN spokesperson in Sri Lanka during the final months of the civil war
* Dr Sam Pari, spokesperson for the Australian Tamil Congress
* Jake Lynch, Director of the Centre for Peace and Conflict Studies at The University of Sydney
* Dr Ben Saul, Professor of International Law and Director of the Sydney Centre for International Law at the University of Sydney
* Peter Arndt, Executive Officer of the Catholic Justice and Peace Commission Brisbane
* Greens Senator Lee Rhiannon